What is the Law?
Title 18 § 6308
In Pennsylvania, the possession, transportation, purchase, and consumption of any alcoholic beverage by an individual under the age of 21 is illegal. This means that there are many charges associated with underage drinking. An individual under the age of twenty-one can be charged with an underaged citation, a DUI, soliciting alcohol, distributing alcohol to other minors, and often possession of a fake form of identification.
Title 18 § 6310.1
It is also illegal for individuals over the age of twenty-one to supply underaged individuals with alcohol. A person over the age of twenty-one who supplies alcohol can be charged with supplying alcohol and child endangerment law violations. Supplying alcohol to a minor does not mean just physically giving alcohol to an individual who is under the legal drinking age. A person can be charged with supplying alcohol to a minor if they leave alcohol in a home or place where the alcohol is intended to be available to the minor.
What are the penalties for underage drinking?
Penalties for the possession, transportation, purchase, and consumption of any alcoholic beverage by an underaged individual:
- First violation: Maximum $500 fine and a 90 license suspension
- Subsequent violations: Maximum $1,000 fine
- Second violation: 1-year license suspension
- Third and later violations: 2-years license suspension
- The local court also has the right to implement some form of treatment in place of the above penalties
Penalties for supplying a person under the age of twenty-one with alcohol:
- Misdemeanor of the third degree
- First violation: Minimum $1,000 fine
- Subsequent violations: $2,500 fine
What should I do?
The first step after you or a loved one is charged with a crime concerning underage drinking in the areas surrounding Chester County is to contact a reliable law team who can help defend you and protect your interests. The Law Office of Vincent J. Caputo is ready to help you through this process. Please contact us with any questions about underage drinking.